Founded in 1930 the club was originally named “The Ayr Road Club” by its founder members; Tom McKean, David Bell, Andrew Shearer, John Stewart, and Andrew and James Robertson. By the end of its first year the club had 22 members.
In 1935 the club’s name was changed to AYR ROADS CYCLING CLUB and it quickly distinguished itself by outstanding touring feats, a feature of the sport in which Ayr Roads gained a reputation. Club riders have also had success on the racing scene at local and international level.
One name in particular which has stood out in the story of the club is that of David Bell. He, probably more than anyone else, sowed the seeds of cycling interest in people’s minds from 1931 until his death in 1965. He wrote under the name of The Highwayman. He described countless scenes and wrote of thousands of incidents which make up the cyclist’s day in his weekly column in the paper. Since 1966 the club has held an annual road race in David Bells memory. The course takes in Rowantree Toll where a monument stands to David Bell’s memory.
Ayr Roads Cycling Club has remained dedicated to its early reputation as a club of mile-eaters. Members have toured the length and breadth of the UK, competed in the continent, California and as far a field as New Zealand. Success has been achieved at local, district, national and international level with UCI medals won in the velodrome, not bad for a “road” club.
For a more detailed history of the club download ARCC History